Thursday, November 17, 2011

Thankful for being a Stay at home Mummy

This week has been a big one for our family. Shane has started his new job. And while I am insanely jealous of the fact that this job has provided him with an iPhone, a brand new laptop, and he will probably be traveling to Canada some time in the near future (it's not fair!).... I have still been watching him this week with much sympathy.

Because he is really challenged. I have great faith in him, and believe he will work hard and do a very good job. But at the moment he is drowning a little. It is just such a huge change for him. There is so much to do, so many new things to learn.

And I am just so glad that I don't have to do what he is doing right now.

I know we stay-at-home-mums have a pretty tough job a lot of the time. We often talk about how hard motherhood can be. But in my opinion the good still outweighs the bad. We are our own bosses to a certain extent. We do have our own challenges, and sometimes they can be pretty big. But at the same time there are many pitfalls of the modern workplace that we get to avoid.

I am so grateful that I can afford to stay at home with my children, and I hope I can make the most of it for as long as possible. I am thankful that I can play with my children, and enjoy them. Not just survive them. I am so glad that I can focus all of my attention on my household, that my heart and my world can be wrapped up so small. Sometimes it feels a little smothering, and too small. But really it's only for a very short time in the grand scheme of life. I think that my kids need that from me. I need it too.

I am so grateful that I don't have to juggle a sick child with work commitments. I am glad that I don't have to stress about childcare. I am so glad that I can get up a million times in the night, and while I may be exhausted, I don't have to go to work in the morning. I am thankful that if I am having a rotten day, we can take it easy. I am grateful for the support I have from my husband in my role. I am glad that he sees that what I am doing matters, and he works incredibly hard so that I can do what I do.

I am glad that I don't have to deal with new bosses, new colleagues and new roles. I am glad that I can make my family my most important priority. Stay at home motherhood is far from easy. Some days it would be much nicer to get out of the house, go to work, and then get to clock off and come home, rather than be surrounded by my work for every minute of every day. Some says I feel like there is no me left, and my children are slowly taking everything I have.

I know men and women have their own different challenges to face. For example, I am not looking forward to giving birth in the next 37 days. But, I also think that with motherhood comes an amazing intimacy with your child that is something fathers don't get to experience. I also am so glad that I am always there for my children. I have that unique opportunity to be there for them every step of the way in their young lives. I know this works both ways, in the fact that I am never without my children. (Some space, oh please, give me some space!) But, it is still something I am grateful for.

I am not doing nothing. I am glad that I am investing in the future, and that what I am doing is important. It is easy to get disillusioned with it all. Motherhood can be a never-ending, all-consuming, thankless task at times. But it is so worth it. And I am so glad that I have the opportunity to do it, and give it everything I've got.

So today I am linking up with Kate, for Thankful Thursdays, because I am thankful that I am a stay-at-home-Mum.

12 comments:

  1. Yes being a SAHM isn't easy.. The "job" never seems to end! I'm a FTWM but before that I was a SAhM for about 1.5 years. Both has it's benefits and challenges but none is ever easy...

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka
    Join in: Wordless Wednesday LINKY Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. The opportunity to be a SAHM is a wonderful thing to be grateful for. It is a shame that it is not an option that these days that more women (or men if that would suit better) can take. I am grateful that too I have been able to be a stay at home mum and help my children during the early years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very much looking forward to being a stay at home mum next year. I think it's so important, and an opportunity people give up too easily. :-)

    Your children are lucky to have you there with them, supporting them, enjoying them, and loving them! I'm sure when they look back on their lives, they will have fond memories, and being truely thankful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. As difficult as it can be at times, I love that I'm at home with the kids. Sometimes I want to trade with my husband, but really, I feel quite lucky. Good luck with the last 37ish days!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Robyn this is a huge one for me too. So very very grateful for the chance to stay at home when so many don't have that opportunity xox.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's hard to be all one or all the other - in my opinion. I work part time to get me out of the house, but I go a little crazy if I work more than 3 short days a week. I can certainly appreciate your perspective on your husband working hard and doing his part while you're doing the same at home.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yep - agree. Love this post.

    This is so where I am at at the moment. I know that next year I will have to go and do some teaching again, but one day a week is all I need to do. Leaving me 6 days a week to be 'at home' with the kids. {Not that I am 'At Home' as much as I thought I would be!}

    ReplyDelete
  8. I hear you! This is my first time getting to be a SAHM/WAHM and I absolutely love it, would not change it for the world.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Perfectly said, Robyn! I absolutely agree.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Today my hubby had the day off & he was playing games with the kids & he said "this is so good, I don't like going to work". I think he would trade places with me in a heart beat. I'm not giving up my full time mummy role though, so he will have to keep going to work. Being a stay at home mum is definitely something to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Beautifuly said! I am stuggling with the concept of returning to work in February.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I work part-time and would much rather do one or the other, rather than a bit of both where I can never do enough, however hard I try! Enjoy being there with your kids and for your kids, it's a precious time that you can never get back once it's gone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I would so love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...