Monday, November 28, 2011

Listography - Cartoon Characters from my youth

I decided to link up with Kate Takes Five for her Listography linky when I saw what the theme this week was. Cartoon characters from your youth? Fun times. So after lots of YouTube and google- I have found them! Some of mine aren't cartoons, but they all are the TV shows that I used to watch as a child.

1. Gumby


It may have taken me a while to find this little guy, I thought his name was Gumpy. Regardless, now I look back, this green dude is seriously weird.


2. Mr Squiggle


That theme song. I can still recite the whole damn thing. This show was pretty awesome. When playing with Georgie, I will often dangle her by her legs and chant 'Upside down! Upside down! Everything's upside down these days!'. They should totally bring Mr Squiggle back.


3. The Greatest Adventure: Stories from the Bible


This was a direct-to-video series produced by Hanna-Barbera. It was about three adventurers. Architects, Derek and Margo, and 'their nomad friend Moki' who used to travel back in time to watch biblical events unfold.


My Grandma had the videos and the show really reminds me of rainy days spent watching TV in her lounge room. I have no idea how factual it was but as a child I enjoyed it. This show evokes so many memories.


4. Captain Planet



Captain Planet, he's our hero.... gonna take pollution down to zero. I used to LOVE this show. It's really quite dodgy, and it was quite ahead of it's time if you think about it. A show in the 90's all about taking care of the planet? I'm surprised that they haven't brought it back. My cousins and I used to run around my backyard playing it out. We used little bathroom o-rings as our planateer rings and my cousin Emma and I both always wanted to be Linka (Oh yeah, we were cool).

You know what really ticks me off about this show now though? There wasn't a planateer from Australia! They had 5 kids from all corners of the globe, which should be one from each continent, but instead they had two from America, one from North and one from South. Rude!


5. The Secret World of Alex Mack



Again, this is not a cartoon. But Alex Mack is just the show that was my pre-teen and young teenage years. I wanted to be her. She was just so cool. Remember her quirky hats? I used to try to dress like her, and in my secret fantasies I was totally like her. Good times. Before vampires and werewolves and wizards and witches. Just classic 90's dagginess at its best.



So that's my list. So many memories. Why not link up with Kate and share your own?

But before you do, could you please pop over to the Circle of Mums page and vote for me?

9 comments:

  1. Captain Planet! I wish I had put that one on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh, YES!!! I remember the Greatest Adventures too, and me and my sister LOVED Alex Mack!! Especially my sister, as the actress's name is Larissa, just like her's :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! You're list has made me smile as I think back to my childhood, I had forgotten about Alex Mack - loved that show! And Captain Planet and Gumby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had captain planet too. I forgot about gumby. I was really into the gumby board game. lol.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Alex Mack! She's awesome! Your list somehow reminded me of Where on Earth is Carmen Sandiego? Ahahahaha. Excuse me while I go sit in a corner and sing the theme songs from your list. I don't care if I'm no longer 7, I'm going to fight to the death that I, and only I, should wield the Wind ring.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Captain planet!! Yes!! Oh the memories :) thanks for the trip down memory lane!

    ReplyDelete
  7. For me these were more young teens (I was an 80's kid) but my little brother would watch all of these so I remember them. Alex Mack is a flash back! you just made me google her, to see what happened with her & I didn't realise she was one of the girls in the movie 'ten things I hate about you'. I am supposed to be working I really should not be googling Larissa from the secret world of ALex Mack.. I really get distracted easily!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't recognise any of these but Captain Planet and Alex mack sound like they would of been ones I would of watched x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I usually do not drop many responses, but i did some searching and wound up here "Listography - Cartoon Characters from my youth".
    And I actually do have a couple of questions for you if you usually do not mind.
    Could it be just me or does it give the impression like a few of these remarks come across like they are coming from brain dead
    folks? :-P And, if you are posting on additional places, I would like to keep up with anything fresh you have to post.
    Could you list of all of all your public pages like
    your twitter feed, Facebook page or linkedin profile?

    Also visit my webpage :: cartier destinee

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I would so love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...