Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Tasty Tuesdays: Coconut and Mango Meringue roll

I haven't done a foodie post in a while, mostly because I've been lazy. But I mentioned this recipe in a post last week and a few people asked me to share it, so here it is:

Coconut and Mango Meringue roll

4 egg whites
3/4 cup caster sugar
1/2 cup dessicated coconut
1 tsp cornflour
2 tsp white vinegar
2 tbs dessicated coconut, toasted
1 tbs caster sugar, extra
Mango butter (see recipe below)
whipped cream
extra mango, diced

1. Preheat oven to 180 degrees. Grease a 25cm x 30cm swiss roll tin, and line with baking paper.
2. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form. Gradually add sugar and beat until thick and glossy. Sprinkle over coconut, cornflour and vinegar and gently fold through.  Spoon into tin and smooth top. Bake for 15 minuted until just set.
3. While meringue is cooking, lay a clean tea towel down and put more baking paper on top. Sprinkle paper with toasted coconut and reserved sugar. Turn cooked meringue out onto the paper and peel away the paper lining. Cool for two minutes.
4. Spread mango butter over the top of the meringue, (you may only need 1/2 a cup), then top with whipped cream and roll using the paper to help. Transfer to a serving platter (which can be a bit tricksy). Top with sliced mango, and chill before serving.

*Note, if you want to, you can also put a teeny bit of coconut essence in your whipped cream.


Mango butter

Blend the flesh of 1 large ripe mango with 2 egg yolks, 1/3 cup caster sugar and 2 tbs lemon juice. Once smooth, transfer to a saucepan and stir over medium heat until sugar has dissolved. Add 80g of diced butter, one piece at a time and whisk constantly until mixture thickens. Pour into small clean jars, seal and store in the fridge. This can be made a day before you make the meringue roll.



I didn't take any photos, but here's a picture of one that looks very similar.




It sounds a little complicated, but I found it surprisingly easy to make and it is one of my favourite sweets. I think it is just such a quintessential summer dessert, and so delicious! I made it for Christmas last year, and it was a big hit, I think it was nice to have something so light in the midst of all the heavy Christmas food.

Linking up with Jess for I blog on Tuesdays....

and with Kate for the Menu Monday Linky....

18 comments:

  1. OMG this looks divine. I so love Mango! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my! This is going on my Xmas treats list!!sounds ah-mazing! I was hoping you'd share x

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh that looks amazing! yummo! have to try this for a summer bbq!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Um, yum! I'm coming to your house for Xmas lunch if this is on the menu!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! Thanks so much for posting this!! I'm sharing this around. Looks fabulous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG Yum! I so need to make this.

    Thanks for sharing x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Boatman loves mangos, but not coconut, so I'm not sure what he would think of this. But our neighbor keeps giving us fresh mangos, so I might have to give it a go.

    Thanks Robyn!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum! I might pinch this and volunteer to do dessert for our family Christmas!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, I love that word, "quintessential" and your mango dessert fits it perfectly ! Thanks for sharing....from a very BIG mango fan :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh wow! That dessert looks yummo! Thanks for sharing! :) PS. I voted for you in the blog comp! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh this looks awesome!! So gonna try it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my goodness, this looks amazing! The mango butter and meringue combination is making my mouth water at the thought of it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. This looks yum - can you make it the day before??

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I would so love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...