Thursday, November 10, 2011

Be intolerant, because some things are just plain wrong

This post may be a little full-on for some. I hope it doesn't offend. But I can't help it. I have to write it.

The fact is I am intolerant.

This may sound kind of funny coming after my WWJD post when I talked about Christian zealots and bigots. But I think there is a huge difference between a bigot and somebody who knows the truth. A bigot is a person who is obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices. That's they key. His or her own. This is not necessarily all my own opinion. In some ways it would be so easy to be tolerant. To say live and let live, and it doesn't matter. But the fact is, this about truth, and the most important, fundamental truth that there is. Not me. And I just can't hear someone say 2 + 2 = 5, have them believe that, and pretend that it's okay.


Jesus didn't say 'I believe what I believe, and you believe what you believe, and that's just fine and dandy.' No, he said I am the way the truth and life. No one comes to the Father except through me. John 14:6.

So I am lovingly intolerant.

The fact is, there is good and bad. Things are black or white. I am so sick of all this grey that is around. I know your deeds, that you are neither cold nor hot. I wish you were either one or the other! So, because you are lukewarm--neither hot nor cold--I am about to spit you out of my mouth. Revelations 3:15-16.

I seriously believe that Satan must have coined the word 'tolerance' because it dilutes the truth. The fact is, the world is not a tolerant place. People are dying for their faith as you read this. Martyrs exist. While we are busy being tolerant, there are others who are dying because of their beliefs.

You know what else I have so much trouble with? It's that 'well I'll offer my kids a balanced view of 'religion', I'll let them look at a few and make their own decisions'. That's like saying, 'well I know my kids are thirsty, but I'll offer them lots of different poisonous drinks and water and let them choose which one is best for them.' Here's the thing. That sounds great in theory, but everything else will kill them. Why offer them something that's bad? Why offer them lies? I understand that people need to make their own choices, and children cannot be pushed into their parents faith.... but at the same time, I'm not going to willingly send my kids to hell. I'll do my utmost to keep them from it.

Now honestly, it doesn't matter if you respect my faith. It sounds good- but that's all. It might make my life a lot easier and more comfortable to live in a society where my faith can be respected. But at the end of the day it does bugger-all. Respecting faith is not believing, and believing is the only thing that is going to bring salvation. Because the fact is we are all screwed up. I'm not talking about the 10 commandments, or any of that. But our hearts. If you look into your heart can you honestly say that you are pure and decent and wonderful, all of the time? Because I can't. Nobody is. That's why He died. That's why Jesus is the only way. We can't fix this mess on our own. The more we try the worse it gets. (Have you noticed?)  It's not about churches, because they're all still run by people, and people are not perfect. It's about the truth of the word and his sacrifice. Beside that everything else is so insignificant.

I get that this probably sounds very over-the-top. I sound like some freaked-out Christian. But to me, this really is the most important thing in the world. It's like watching so many people around you marching their way into a deep dark, hole that they are never going to get out of. And they don't see it. They are completely oblivious to the fact that they are going straight to hell. I can't just head in the opposite direction and wave and say "Well, see you later then!" I just can't. So I'm doing the best I can, the only way I know how- to stop people from losing everything.

Please, don't think I'm crazy, But at the same time understand that I cannot be tolerant of the lies that exist out there when I know the truth. Honestly, I don't mind about whether you like me or not, or respect this or not, (it's nice, but it's not the point). Seek the truth.

 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free. John 8:32.

3 comments:

  1. Agreed. Tolerence is a bit of a cop out really. Should I be tolerent of pedophiles then, tolerent of murderers? "Well, you're just doing what YOU think is right, so that's okay". Of course not!

    I totally agree with you Robyn. I guess the hard part, the very fine line part, is how to be tolerent and also full of Love. Of to have to wisdom of Jesus to know when to put your foot down, and when to give a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written Robyn. We can be tolerant to the point where we accept that people make their own choices, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they're right or that we agree with them. But we still love them because Jesus died for them as well.

    I read a similar comment on a blog recently about someone offering their kids different religions so they could make their own choice. I felt really saddened by it.

    Thanks for being so honest - and if people are offended, that's because you've touched on something they need to deal with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well said! Where will "each to their own" get us when there is an answer!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I would so love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...