Thursday, December 8, 2011

Rain, Rain, go away....

It has rained a lot in the past few days here in my town. A lot. Consequently, there has been a lot of talk about flooding. You see right about this time last year we had the same thing happen. It rained, and rained and rained. And a lot of people got water in their homes and businesses, and suffered financial damage. Then again, earlier this year, the waters rose and people were flooded a second time. So people around here get a little.... twitchy when it comes to too much rain.



Last night there was some flash flooding downtown. I think a few local businesses and maybe some houses may have had a bit of water through them. And it has still been raining. Creeks are getting backed up, the water just has nowhere to go. And it affects everyone. Not only those whose homes are flooded, although of course they are affected the worst. But when a town as small as mine is flooded.... it's a big deal. The highways get cut, the supermarket can start getting empty, people get very stressed.

 


Shane and I have a house in the higher side of town, and are well away from creeks and flood areas. And I am so, so, beyond thankful for that. But there are others who are not so fortunate. So today, spare a thought for those who are dealing with yet another time of stress, and worry. Many people have only just moved back into their homes. I have friends who still haven't gone home yet from earlier flooding. It may not be on a scale as large as the flooding was in Brisbane and the surrounding areas. It probably won't make many news headlines. But there are still people who are suffering.

I'm linking up with Kate for Thankful Thursdays. Because I'm so thankful that this morning I woke up and the sun was shining! It looks like today could be a drier day! I am also grateful that we are high and dry, but I am praying for those who aren't. There is still more rain forecast to fall over the weekend. So please send up a prayer for them too.


I really would love to be a part of the Circle of Mums top 25 Aussie Mum blogs, so please pop on over and vote for me if you can spare a moment.

8 comments:

  1. Wow for a moment it seems like you were talking about S'pore.. because it's pretty much the same here too. Not so much that it has forced pple to move house, but that it has been raining a lot with flash floods, shops getting flooded and disrupting their business, a lot of roads flooded etc.

    A prayer for those suffering in the heavy rain...

    Ai @ Sakura Haruka
    Join in: Wordless Wednesday Linky Party

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great and timely reminder Robyn, and I'm glad you are safe where you are. Hope the rest of your townsfolk stay that way too xox

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will add my prayers. Such a horrible thing to have to go through. I can't even begin to imagine...

    Glad you're safe!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hope you guys get a lot of sun this Summer Robyn. It would just be so hard for all those families still struggling after last year. I can't blame them for being twitchy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hope the sun keeps on shining. xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. You and I must live quite close. We were flooded in January too - our town made the news BIG time...

    It is strange how we all react to rain now. We all get a bit nervous. Just the other day we were driving in the rain and my 3 year old asked if we should buy some extra food in case it floods again.

    Glad you are high and dry - surely will pray for those in low lying areas.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So glad you didn't get flooded. Hope the damage wasn't to bad for those who were.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We went out for a visit to your town this weekend and were definitely sweating with the rain. We had to cross two massive areas of water across the road going out there in my brand new car, was not happy! Apparently the railway damn was a big cause of the problem this time around?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I would so love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...