Friday, April 15, 2011

Another childcare one...

I don't really know how to start this post, but at the same time feel like I need to.

You may have seen my childcare rant here. (If you haven't, you might want to check it out before you read this!)

I wouldn't say that my opinion on has changed exactly. But now, after being a Mummy (for all of 9 months!) and dealing with a grumpy child and being lonely and stuff. I'm a little... gentler on the subject.

I do understand now how hard it can be for some mothers. I understand wanting to go back to work just so you can be good at something. To feel like you're achieving something in your day. To feel like you're... part of the world. I wouldn't say that I agree with putting children (especially little babies) into childcare. But I am a lot more understanding of a parent's point of view now.

I realise that it is very difficult on parents, especially in this day and age, to make that big choice to have a parent stay at home with a child. Hell, I am finding it much harder than I imagined. And it's easy for me! I know that I have got it so good in comparison to so many others. I can call up my Mum or my sister on a particularly bad day and say 'Help!!" We can get by, (at a pinch!) but we can afford for me to stay at home with Georgie. I have my husband's full and unwavering support. I have great friends and have found a good network with good activities available to help get us out of the house.

Take that all away from me? And my choice may not be so straightforward.

I still believe that the childcare system is broken. I think it is wrong to have so many little ones crammed into such a small space, I still think the government standards are wrong, and I still think the childcare workers are overworked, under qualified and underpaid. I still do not agree with many things that occur in childcare centers.

But, now I do understand parents feeling like they just need to put their children into care for them. I don't necessarily agree with it all the time, but I am a lot more compassionate and softer on the issue than I ever was before.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I would so love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...