Friday, March 9, 2012

and so it begins....

Today Shane is going away for a whole month to Canada. It is going to be really tough. He has been away before, but never for so long, and he has never been so far away before.

I know Georgie is going to miss her Daddy a lot. She is very much a Daddy's girl. I'm going to struggle with solo parenting, especially in the early evenings when we do the dinner/bath/bed routine. The distance is also going to be really hard. Shane has been away before, so I tend to cope reasonably well, especially because my family is so great. But the fact that he is going to so very far away is going to be difficult.

The time difference is also going to be a problem. Normally when Shane is away, we tend to talk on the phone often. But it won't be that easy this month. However before he left, Shane did set up Skype, so we will be able to communicate a bit.

It's also going to be really hard for Shane to be so far away from the kids for so long. Charlie is going to be 3 months old by the time he gets back! Plus, he is going to be away for most of Easter, which is something I'm quite unhappy about. But it's not his fault. He did ask that he could be home by Easter, and his boss who organised the itinerary for his trip, has him leaving Canada on the Thursday before Good Friday, but didn't think about the time difference. So he won't be back in Australia until Easter Saturday, and then he has to wait for a plane to come back to our town on Sunday. So he won't be back until Easter Sunday afternoon. That's a bit hard.

I'm really excited for him, as this is such a great opportunity, but I must admit I am a little jealous. I've only ever been to New Zealand before, and would LOVE to go to Canada. He is flying into Vancouver, but will be doing a bit of traveling, and he is going to Calgary, Banff and Red Deer. I would love to see Banff especially, and would love to go skiing there. But we have decided that one day when the kids are older we will try to take a family holiday there.

It is tough. But at the same time, I know that Shane doesn't want to be away from us. Whenever he has the choice, he always chooses to be with his family. And that makes a huge difference. While he's away I have a few projects around the house that I'd like to tackle. Hopefully I can keep myself busy.  A month really isn't that long. We will just do out best, and hopefully this time will pass quickly.

Linking this post with the lady Glow today :)

5 comments:

  1. You will do great I'm sure. It you need a chat you always can vent to me :)
    I hope that your able to Skype often and the kids get some Daddy time from it.

    Sucks about Easter - nothing they can do to try get him home sooner?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, he's got a pretty full itinerary of courses and things, so he's pretty stuck. But thanks for that! At least skype makes it easier :)

      Delete
  2. Gosh, I don't envy you. But I'm sure you will get in to the groove of it all soon enough and then he'll be home. Plus you always have your blog to keep you occupied! x

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel for you - a month is hard. I would be bawling my eyes out. But I know you can do it! Keeping yourself busy sounds like a great plan. I hope it goes fast and smooth. x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh no..I know I could not cope, I would move back in with family for the time he was away lol so obviously, you are already MUCH stronger then me ;)

    Of course, I am sure he will be missing you as much as you will be missing him and soon it will all be over and back you will be back in his arms..

    Thank goodness we have Skype these days, you are both a brave pair!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I would so love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...