Friday, April 20, 2012

Something worthwhile....

Tonight we had the Watoto children's choir come do a concert in our town.

Wow.

Watoto Children’s Choirs have traveled internationally since 1994 as advocates for the estimated 50 million children in Africa, orphaned as a result of HIV/AIDS, war, poverty and disease.

These are children who know suffering. They know pain. But they also know Jesus. You can see it all over their faces, hear it in their beautiful voices. They really, really love God. It's wonderful to see.


I almost didn't go. Shane is still quite sick, which meant I had to go alone. It was on at 7pm, and at 6:30pm I was still not sure if we were going. I fed Georgie, bathed them both and packed them in the car, but I was still in two minds about going. We were running late, an excellent reason to turn back. Charlie was hungry and I was not excited at the prospect of trying to feed him there. I was almost going to turn around and go home as soon as I parked the car. There were just too many cars there, and it had already started. But then I saw my sister arriving with her children and thought 'What they heck, just try. If it just doesn't work you can always go home.' But we stayed. I parked Georgie on Jenny's lap (because she's wonderful like that), and just stood up the back with Charlie next to my friend who was there rocking her baby girl... and I just took it all in. And I am glad. It was amazing.

You want to see Joy? You look at the beautiful smiling faces of rescued Ugandan orphans. They know Joy.

 

It was like a drink of water when I have been so thirsty. These children, who have suffered through far worse than I ever have, reminded me about the joy of the Lord. They just absolutely love Jesus. It's not just a show, it's not an act. They are so in love with God, and it just radiated from them.

I know the blogosphere has been abuzz about Africa ever since Eden went there. And since then I have not written so many posts because they seem so trivial, and insignificant and unworthy. But this is worth talking about.

It's not about comparing. My pain, my problems, they are still problems. They may not be the biggest problems in the world, but they are still my problems. And they are still valid. But it does give some perspective. If these children can worship and praise and love God so much, despite all their circumstances, surely I can too? And if I can do something to help more children to rise up out of horrible circumstances, then why don't I?

Kate, at Kate says stuff recently had her sister share on her blog about her experience in Zambia. In it she mentions how vital it is to support the smaller less visible organizations. I think that the Watoto group could be one of those, The work they do, and they way they do it, looks pretty amazing. I don't normally do this on my blog, but if you want to, go check them out, and see what they do!



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for writing this post. I missed seeing you there. I just absolutely LOVED this concert. It was so beautiful to see the joy on their faces and to hear their beautiful singing. I hadn't known much about their organisation before I went, so I was surprised it was such a Christian event, but so, so, so pleased that we went. We've signed up as a sponsor for a little boy who was born on the actual day of Jessica's birthday, thought that was a sign! We are looking forward to finding out more about their organisation and listening to the CD we bought. Glad you got to be part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! Look at their beautiful faces. That joy! I'd love to hear them too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful Robyn. I'm so glad you made it despite the obstacles. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. They came to our church once and it was amazing! Such hope they have; they really beleive anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by, I would so love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...