Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Devastation



Things are terrible at the moment. Queensland is flooding. About 70% of the state is under water. We are very fortunate in my town- the water has left us alone. But we are a little isolated and cut off. The capital city, Brisbane is preparing for major flooding, and Toowoomba and the surrounding areas was hit by horrible flash floods a couple of days ago. So far 12 people are dead and over 50 are still missing. It's just awful.


Brisbane is bad, over 30 000 homes are expected to be inundated. But at least those people have time to get themselves and some of their possessions out of the way of the water. Toowoomba and the Lockyer Valley are worse. They had no warning, so people had hardly any time to get out of the way of the flood waters. Many didn't.


They're calling it an inland tsunami. The destruction is just enormous.






I see this, and I just wonder..... how do you come back from this?




I feel pretty useless and ineffectual right now. I'm trying to pray but at the same time I feel almost guilty because we're okay, and here I am feeling exhausted with Georgie right now because she just had needles and is not happy! I also don't know what this means for the future. Much of our country's farmland is underwater and many crops have been destroyed. It is not flooding here but for the past few months have been wet enough to stop Shane working.  He has still been working- doing fencing, organising sheds and maintenance on the vehicles, but when they don't drive the trucks- there's no income. Money is getting to be a big problem- because Shane's parents can only pay him for so long. We just don't know what we are supposed to do.

Things are just so difficult, poor Shane is really feeling the stress and I am just so tired. Honestly, I can barely even function lately, this is more tired than I can ever remember being in my life.

But at least we are still here. At the moment, Shane Georgie and I are healthy, well fed and have our own roof over our heads. So for now, I'm just going to be grateful for what I've got and give all our problems to God- there's nothing else we can do. I know that there is nothing we will have to face that we can't handle- with His help. I'm also going to be praying as much as I can for all those who are affected by these floods. And we will just do what we can.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for stopping by, I would so love to hear your thoughts!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...